Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Advice from Dad
I am the middle daughter of three. We are spaced out with about 4 years between us, so KB and I were always wanting to do what Julie was doing. My dad had a saying that really stuck with me.... "Be (insert age) when you're (age)." I heard it A LOT! "Be 12 when you are 12." "Be 15 when you are 15." "Be 32 when you are 32." It is, of course, not what a 15-year-old wants to hear, but there is so much wisdom in that simple statement. Dad taught us to enjoy the moment and truly experience the stage of life we are in right now. It seems like we find ourselves wishing away our current situation...."If only I could get my driver's license, or go to college, or graduate from college, or get married, or have children, or get the kids in school, or get the kids out of school........." Whenever I read or hear the story of the Israelites in the wilderness talking about how they were better off in Egypt where they at least they had meat to eat, I am reminded of Dad's advice and what fickle, discontent people we can be. Right now we are trying to sell a house, living in a rental house with only half our belongings, potty-training, teaching one to walk, teaching another to color in the lines and recognize letters. I find myself wishing for the days when they can dress themselves and we are living in our dream house. I want to be so careful to "Be 32 while I am 32." God has every one of us in the EXACT spot we are in right now for HIS purpose. What a privilege!! In Phillipians, Paul urges us to "learn to be content no matter what our current circumstances." Praying and even wishing for your next step is great. I think God wants us to do that. What Paul warns us against is not being "content" until we get to that next step. God is working on me right now on this contentment thing and Dad's advice keeps coming to mind. Funny how smart your parents turn out to be, huh?!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We were all that way, Melanie. You might like this quote from Mark Twain,
“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”
And this Dale Carnegie quote,
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our window today.
Love,
Papa
so true! that advice will stick with me for the rest of my life too! i mean, nobody said life would be easy, right!? thanks for the encouragement!
Post a Comment